If you’ve been feeling somewhat uninspired and less motivated since COVID hit, I get it. I’ve been riding the COVID waves too, and it’s been challenging at the best of times.
Today, I wanted to focus our conversation around self-care and mindfulness.
I’m a big believer in focusing on what you can control. The virus and how long this experience is going to last is out of your hands. There’s no point in wasting your energy on wishing things were different.
Instead, direct your energy into actioning the below and watch how your mood transforms.
1. Take 5 minutes each day to sit in silence, meditate or reflect. What do you want to experience in your life moving forward? How do you want to live? What do you want to spend your time doing? Were you living authentically? When COVID lifts, would you be happy jumping into your old life (exactly as it was)? Or would you like something different? Carve out time to reflect and explore the possibilities.
2. Keep in touch with other lash artists and salon owners for support. People in your industry understand firsthand what you’re going through on the business front. Connect and share business ideas, start collaborations or support one another to resolve challenges. Sometimes, having someone in your industry shine light onto a problem you can’t seem to solve can provide a perspective you didn’t see before. Support each other!
3. Make health and wellbeing a priority. You should have a COVID-SAFE plan in your salon protecting you, your clients and staff. Wear proper PPE (personal protective equipment) and following sanitisation procedures. Take proper breaks between appointments to stretch, reset your posture and get the blood moving through your body. Avoid slouching all day (as lash artists tend to do) as it can negatively impact your mental health.
4. Get organised. What’s taking up your mental and physical space? De-clutter and re-organise your work area. Move things around. Redecorate. Infuse new energy into your space. Not at work? What’s the state of your inbox, or computer files? When there isn’t order in your workflow, this affects your finances, mental clarity and ability to grow your business effectively. Get on top of it today. You’ll feel reborn — promise!
5. Have mindful conversations. Do your best to steer client or salon conversations to focus on the positive. Yes, COVID is the hot topic at the moment, but like we started this article — focus on the good, and from this more goodness blossoms. Engage in uplifting and vibrant conversations. It means that everyone walks away, empowered and happier than when they arrived.